English + Demi Pair
The Demi Pair program at International House Bondi provides students the opportunity to combine their English studies with an Au Pair experience with a host family in Sydney. Students can study any ELICOS course: General English, Speaking and Pronunciation, Cambridge (FCE, CAE, CPE), IELTS Preparation or English+ Business/Project Management/Social Media Marketing whilst taking part in the program. Students can study Full time (Semi-Intensive 20 hours) or Part time (8, 12 or 16 hours) each week.
The Demi Pair Coordinator is based at IH Bondi and is responsible for ensuring the program runs smoothly, whilst assisting the marketing team with Demi Pair applications. In addition, the coordinator recruits suitable host families to host our Demi Pair students and manages the placement process. The Demi Pair Coordinator will provide support throughout the placement to both the student and their host family.
- Students must enroll for a minimum of 12 weeks’ study to join the Demi Pair program
- The Demi Pair student will live with their local host family for the duration of their studies
- Provide host family 20 hours of assistance each week
- The Demi Pair program at International House Bondi provides students the opportunity to combine their English studies with an Au Pair experience with a host family in Sydney
- Demi Pair students will attend English classes at IH Bondi
- Students must hold either a Student visa or Working Holiday visa to join the Demi Pair program (Student visa holders must study full time (20 hours)
- Families provide accommodation, meals, Wi-Fi, linens and weekly pocket money of AU$100
To join the Demi Pair program, students must fulfill the program requirements:
- Students aged 18+
- Intermediate level of English
- Childcare experience
- Childcare + Character references
- Police check from home country
- Working with Children Check (WWCC) from Australia
- Medical check
- First Aid Training (in Australia)
- First Aid Certificate
- Students that join the Demi Pair program must have substantial childcare experience
- Childcare experience can be both formal or informal such as a babysitter, after school nanny, school holiday nanny, childcare educator, teacher, children’s nurse, classroom assistant, holiday camp worker, sport’s coach or homework tutor
- Childcare is substantial if it’s frequent or re-occurring experience
- Student must have experience caring for children that are not relatives
- Childcare experience must be verified with a childcare reference from a previous childcare employer
More information about English + Demi Pair
Demi Pairs provide 20 hours of assistance to their host family each week, Monday – Friday. Weekends are usually free for socialising and exploring Sydney. Occasionally, host families may require weekend babysitting, so students are asked to remain flexible to their host family’s needs. All required assistance will be pre-determined and discussed during the placement matching process.
The primary focus of family assistance is childcare and child-related tasks. Assistance with household tasks may also be required by the host family. Please note that host families may have varied requirements, specific to their family’s needs.
The table below shows the types of duties that may be required by the host family during the Demi Pair placement.
Demi Pair students will know the tasks required of them before starting their placement. The Demi Pair Coordinator has regular communication with the student and their host family throughout the placement to ensure the assistance provided by the Demi Pair matches what the family require.
|Wake and dress children
Comb children’s hair
Brush children’s teeth
Take children to school
|Pick children up from school
Take children home or to after school activities
Prepare afternoon snack
Help with homework
Play and supervise children
Cook dinner for children
Put children to bed
Read stories to children
|Empty the dishwasher
Wipe kitchen surfaces
Make the children’s beds
Iron children’s clothes
Cook dinner for family
Vacuum the floors
Empty the bins
Clean the bathroom
Tidy up toys
Demi Pair host families are carefully recruited by the Demi Pair Coordinator to ensure their childcare requirements are suitable for our program. Adult host family members have criminal record checks and the Demi Pair Coordinator conducts reference checks and a home inspection as part of the family’s registration to the Demi Pair program.
Demi Pair students are carefully matched and placed with one of our host families for the duration of their studies and during this time the student assists the family with childcare and household tasks. Host families live in residential suburban areas of Sydney, no more than 60-minutes from the IH Bondi campus where students attend class. Demi Pair students are usually required to take public transport to school each day.
Host families accommodate the Demi Pair student in their family home. We guarantee that our host families will provide their Demi Pair with the following:
- Private bedroom (with bed, desk, chair, clothes storage and a window for natural light)
- Linens (pillow, quilt, bed sheets and towels)
- All meals, 7 days per week (breakfast and lunch are self-serve & dinner with the family)
- Weekly pocket money allowance of AU$100
Students must hold either a Student visa or Working Holiday visa to join the Demi Pair program. Each of these visas have conditions concerning work and study, which will determine the student’s Demi Pair placement. Student visa holders must study full time (20 hours).
Refer to the table below for factors of each visa. Regardless of visa type, participation in the Demi Pair program is for the duration of the student’s studies and the student must leave their host family when their course at IH Bondi ends, unless agreed otherwise with the Demi Pair Coordinator.
Working Holiday Visa
|Study + Demi Pair 12-48 weeks||Study + Demi Pair 12-17 weeks|
|Aged 18+||Aged 18-30 (French citizens aged 18-35)|
|Full Time study only (Semi-Intensive 20 hours)||Full time or part time study|
|Provide host family 20 hours of assistance each week||Provide host family 20 hours of assistance each week|
|Overseas Student Health Cover required||Can provide host family additional assistance for extra pocket money|
|Own health insurance recommended
Start Dates 2020
Demi Pair applications are accepted year-round. Applications for December / early January will be based on host family availability due to NSW school holidays. Please contact your Marketing Manager for availability.
|Demi Pair Fee AU$ 750
Plus Weekly English Tuition & Materials
Accommodation Deposit AU$ 950*
*Accommodation Deposit $950 is refundable if not required during the placement.
|Intermediate English level||Step 1 Application received||Demi Pair Student Application Form|
|Completed application forms||Step 2 Speaking Test||Demi Pair Program Terms and Conditions|
|Signed Program Terms & Conditions||Steps 3 Document review||Demi Pair Student Handbook & Code of Conduct|
|First Aid & CPR Training**||Step 4 Letter of offer||Demi Pair Required Document Checklist|
|Childcare & Character references||Step 5 Family matching||Demi Pair Required Document Guide|
|Police Check & WWCC**||Step 6 Family interview||Childcare Reference Form|
|Medical check||Step 7 Placement confirmed||Character Reference Form|
|Introduction letter||Step 1 to step 4 must be completed at least 8 weeks prior to start of course||Medical Check Form|
|Photo presentation||WWCC & First Aid Guide|
|Introduction Letter & Photo Template||Introduction Letter & Photo Template|
**First Aid & WWCC on arrival in Australia. Police check from home country
All required program documentation must be received prior to the student’s enrolment at IH Bondi so that the Demi Pair Coordinator can assess the student’s suitability to the program. For quicker processing, all required documents should be provided at the same time.