What is Teacher Professional Development?
International House Sydney has designed Professional Development Courses that can help teachers expand and build on their knowledge and skills:
Refresher CELTA: Revise and expand classroom management, lesson types, task designs and lesson planning knowledge and skills
TESOL Practicum Placement: Consists of teaching practice opportunities at IH Sydney for candidates who are undertaking a course that requires a practicum component.
Delivery: Face to face
Monday & Wednesday evenings (5-9pm)
plus Saturday (9am-5pm)
The TESOL Practicum Placement can be completed face to face or online.
- 10 hrs of observations of experienced teachers
- up to 6 hrs of assessed teaching practice with an experienced teacher
- Supported lesson planning with an experienced teacher
Each course will have its specific goals and outcomes, but overall, every course will help you to:
- Develop specialist skills
- Review and refresh your teaching skills
- Broaden your knowledge of teaching methodology
- Increase your employability and widen your career opportunities
Why Professional Development Courses?
The professional development range of courses offered by International House Sydney is designed for teachers who want to develop specialist skills. These are practical and goal-oriented courses, designed and run by some of IH Sydney’s most experienced and knowledgeable trainers. The courses have specific goals and cover methodology, solutions to problems, activities and practical ideas to use in the classroom in different contexts.
Who is the Professional Development course designed for?
- English language teachers and trainers who want to further develop their professional skills
- Cambridge CELTA or Certificate IV in TESOL graduates who want to develop their teaching abilities
- Teachers who want to develop the skills and knowledge required to deliver better lessons
More information about Teacher Professional Development Courses
Finished CELTA but still not confident? Completed CELTA a while ago but haven’t taught yet?
- Gain more confidence before stepping into the real classroom
- Revise and expand classroom management, lesson types, task designs and lesson planning knowledge/skills
- Target specific areas of weakness in your teaching
- Refresher Methodology and Peer Teaching on Saturday
- Teaching Practice with tailored Questions and Feedback on Tuesday & Thursday
Course Fee: $450
Assessed teaching practice consists of being observed and assessed by an experienced teacher who is also a qualified TESOL trainer. The assessment includes written feedback on lesson plans and a post-teaching meeting to discuss the lesson. Additional assessed teaching practice hours can be arranged.
Final report / assessment checklist for the candidate’s institution.
Course fee: $450