What is Teacher Professional Development?
International House Sydney has designed Professional Development Courses that can help teachers expand and build on their knowledge and skills:
ETYL for CELTA Graduates: Specialise in Younger Learner Teaching – learn about specific teaching methodologies, classroom management, activities and different age groups
Refresher CELTA: Revise and expand classroom management, lesson types, task designs and lesson planning knowledge and skills
TESOL Practicum Placement: Consists of teaching practice opportunities at IH Sydney for candidates who are undertaking a course that requires a practicum component.
Face to face Methodology ( 2 Saturdays, 9am to 5pm 7 hours per day)
Face to face Methodology + TP ( 2 Saturdays, 9am to 5pm 7 hours per day + 1 evening 5-9pm)
Start Date: 26 June 2021
Delivery: Face to face
Sat 6 Mar (9am-5pm) + Mon 8 Mar & Wed 10 Mar (5-9pm)
Sat 10 July (9am-5pm)+ Mon 12 July & Wed 14 July (5-9pm)
Sat 27 Nov (9am-5pm) + Mon 29 Nov & Wed 1 Dec (5-9pm)
- 10 hrs of observations of experienced teachers
- up to 6 hrs of assessed teaching practice with an experienced teacher
- Supported lesson planning with an experienced teacher
- Final report / assessment checklist for the candidate’s institution
The TESOL Practicum Placement can be completed face to face or online.
Each course will have its specific goals and outcomes, but overall, every course will help you to:
- Develop specialist skills
- Review and refresh your teaching skills
- Broaden your knowledge of teaching methodology
- Increase your employability and widen your career opportunities
Why Professional Development Courses?
The professional development range of courses offered by International House Sydney is designed for teachers who want to develop specialist skills. These are practical and goal-oriented courses, designed and run by some of IH Sydney’s most experienced and knowledgeable trainers. The courses have specific goals and cover methodology, solutions to problems, activities and practical ideas to use in the classroom in different contexts.
Who is the Professional Development course designed for?
- English language teachers and trainers who want to further develop their professional skills
- Cambridge CELTA or Certificate IV in TESOL graduates who want to develop their teaching abilities
- Teachers who want to develop the skills and knowledge required to deliver better lessons
More information about Teacher Professional Development Courses
Specialise in Younger Learner Teaching:
- Adapt TESOL methodologies to YL teaching
- Get practical activity ideas for YL classroom
- Gain confidence in YL classroom management
- Understand the differences between the needs of pre-school, primary school and secondary school learners
Course Fee: Methodology ( 2 Saturdays, 9am to 5pm 7 hours per day) – $350
Course Fee: Methodology + TP ( 2 Saturdays, 9am to 5pm 7 hours per day + 1 evening 5-9pm) $550
Finished CELTA but still not confident? Completed CELTA a while ago but haven’t taught yet?
- Gain more confidence before stepping into the real classroom
- Revise and expand classroom management, lesson types, task designs and lesson planning knowledge/skills
- Target specific areas of weakness in your teaching
- Refresher Methodology and Peer Teaching on Saturday
- Teaching Practice with tailored Questions and Feedback on Tuesday & Thursday
Course Fee: $350
Assessed teaching practice consists of being observed and assessed by an experienced teacher who is also a qualified TESOL trainer. The assessment includes written feedback on lesson plans and a post-teaching meeting to discuss the lesson. Additional assessed teaching practice hours can be arranged.
Course fee: $450